Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What was I supposed to be doing?

Besides procrastinating, which actually is my worst habit as a learner (BY FAR!), I also suffer from a short attention span. I will sometimes tell myself that now is a time to work, to get started on that homework or project or whatever that I've been procrastinating from for days or weeks, and then I will see something interesting on tv, or I will think something like, what's going to happen next in the book " "? and I will get completely sidetracked and it will take me that much longer to start on my work. Sometimes, I'll be sitting in front of the computer, ready to start typing or researching some topic, and I think, first I'll check facebook, which of course, is never a good idea. Sometimes I don't even need an action or activity to catch my attention, I'll just sit there, staring into space, thinking about some deeply philosophical issue, or maybe just something silly about my life, and I can stay like that for who knows how long! I daydream more than anyone should, it's practically a sport for me. Often when I daydream, I get up and start to pace, which tends to freak people out, but which I find very therapeutic. I am one of those people who can never sit still, I'm always fidgeting, and looking around, and doing and thinking just one thing at a time just seems like an impossible task. This is why the only way I can effectively study is to get into the mood of my particular task, so that it is dominating my thoughts, and just make myself concentrate on it for as long as I can, and then afterwards completely forget about it as soon as I don't need the information any more.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

11 points. "Sometimes, I'll be sitting in front of the computer, ready to start typing or researching some topic, and I think, first I'll check facebook, which of course, is never a good idea." I think this is a huge -- new -- emerging problem in the internet-based world in which we all now live.