Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cal Poly Procrastination

The Cal Poly theory of procrastination is that it's a psychological problem, brought on by things like low self esteem, perfectionism, being too busy and more. The aspects of procrastination that I identify most with are being too busy, and using procrastination as a way to cope with stress. I think that many people, especially students like myself, usually have a hundred and one things that we have to accomplish, all with some sort of deadline, and all with their own separate levels of importance in our own minds. There is no way that every single thing can be done the way that it should be, or could be, so we prioritize. We decide what needs to be done first, and then often procrastinate on that by doing something else, as discussed in structural procrastination. I also think that many people use procrastination as a way to cope with stress. If we think too much about all the millions of things that we have to do, and put pressure on ourselves to have everything done just right, we will all break down and have heart attacks. I think that this article makes many good points about the reasons for procrastination, and what we can do to resolve it, but there are things that I don't agree with. This article makes it seem as if procrastination is always a negative thing, and must never be allowed to happen, but I disagree. I think that often procrastination is a completely normal human response, and can sometimes even be healthy. Sometimes we need to procrastinate on certain things to make sure that other things get done, and also for our own mental and emotional health

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

13 points. "This article makes it seem as if procrastination is always a negative thing, and must never be allowed to happen, but I disagree. I think that often procrastination is a completely normal human response, and can sometimes even be healthy." I agree.