Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Structured procrastination

The idea of structured procrastination appeals to me greatly. I myself have always been a lover of procrastination for most of my life, although my strategies have changed some over the years. I used to just never work at all; I never did homework, I rarely went to class, had no job, was involved in no extracurricular activities, and was generally a lazy bum. Now I have a method to my procrastination. Much like in the article, I practice structural procrastination. When I don't feel like doing an important activity, I do something else instead which also seems important in its own way. I convince myself of the rightness of the other thing that I am doing, when really I am only going it to get out of the thing that I was originally supposed to do. I continue to do this until something more important comes along which I am supposed to do, and then I finally get around to doing the thing I had been procrastinating doing, and begin to procrastinate the newer, more important thing.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

13 point. Glad to hear you made this important discovery.