Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Extra Credit

Math, English, History, and Science! What in the world do these things have in common? Why nothing of course. Except, you do have to read and write in the other three classes, and sometimes even do some critical/analytical readings. Also, often when your are reading or writing an essay for an English class, it's helpful to know other subjects like history and science to give you some background on the material. In science, often math is required and vice versa. To give a more specific example, when I was taking human biology, I had to write a paper on my first experience with nature, and I never would have gotten the A that I did if I didn't have the writing skills I had learned in my English classes. In my physical geography class, we learned about makeup of the planet, incorporating important historical events into the story. We also calculated things like the movement of glaciers over time, and we wrote an essay on the film An Inconvenient Truth, so really this class was a few different subjects in one! Another good example is macro-economics. In this class I have to do mathematical equations and relate them to economic principles, I had to understand the political science and history of economic principles and economics today, I had to write an essay on the economics of America today, and I had to understand the science of the field of economics, and this was just one class!

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

Anna, like much of your writing lately, this one starts out great and then....well, I'm kinda left at the end thinking "and so???" It's as if you write the bare minimum word count and then just stop. In terms of extra credit this obligates me to award you 25 points, as I duly will, but it also leaves me feeling that you've dodged the question a bit here. It's like there's a whole "invisible paragraph" just hanging there, waiting, even begging, to be written at the far end of these so far somewhat truncated thoughts.

Sorry to end the quarter in "instructor whining mode" but I feel like I know you fully well enough by now to give frank and honest feedback. Plus I it's supposed to be in the nature of Honors Instructors to demand more in-depth synthesis and analysis from students who have self-selected themselves for additonal academic torture.