Tuesday, May 27, 2008

steve jobs

Steve Jobs' speech, while certainly inspirational, has little to do with my own personal educational path. I recently decided to major in business with the purpose of eventually getting into marketing. I did this, not because of a secret passion I have for business classes, but because I know that there are a lot of oppurtunities in this field, that it often comes with some kind of stability, and that theoretically I do think that it is interesting. Basically, I took the careers/majors that I know can realistically make money and I eliminated everything I didn't want to do. While I do think that it is important to do something you care about, I also think that most people compromise when they decide what they want to do. They pick something that they like, that they can theoretically succeed in, and that will realistically give them some financial stability in the long run. Doing what Steve Jobs did is difficult because it's living without really understanding what's going to happen in the future, which for most of us is a difficult and terrifying notion. On the other hand, it's not like he didn't have a plan at all. He knew he wanted a business, and that he wanted to be involved in technology, and that is what he did. He entered a field where he has talent, and where he knew that if he did succeed, he would be secure in every way. He just took a little bit longer to get there than many of us would like.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. Well I know exactly what you mean, but given that you're in "marketing" you might consider that Steve Jobs is arguably the greatest marketing genius of our generation, and widely hailed as so. Hence it is a bit ironic that you find his positions irrelevant to your own situation :)